Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Day One: Entries by Mitchell and Nina

Here's a little recap of Day 1 in Mexico from the perspective of two High Life students; Mitchell and Nina


3/29/11
               Today is the beginning of our epic journey to the wonderful land of Mexico.  Since it was the first day, I will be brief. So we had a super long van ride, and we had various food stops along the way;  I enjoyed sleeping for the duration of most of it.  When we got to the border, I thought that it was going to be all super securitied up, but actually, most people were just cruising right along in.  Once we got in, it was a total culture shock.  All of the roadways were hectic and crazy, in the distance I saw a huge Mexican flag.  We went along some twists and turns then ended up at our place.  Once we got out, everybody immediately started to help unloading and getting everything organized. I was impressed at how cooperative everybody was and also at the speed of us getting everything done.  Afterwards, we just hung out for a while, changing clothes and hanging out. Then we all went to go get something to eat at a place called Super Taco.  I thought that since I took Spanish for three years that I would know what to say and that I would understand everybody, but once I sat down and had to order, I had no idea what to say.  I ended up getting some amazing tacos though, and Dylan gave me half of his torta (totally getting that next time)   now everyone is getting ready for a good night sleep and a busy night of working and helping build a house.
-Mitchell Duke
 ------------------------------------------- 
3.29.11-Day 1
Today was definitely a long day for the whole team! We got to the church at 4:30am this to get ready to leave for Tijuana, Mexico! The drive went by decently fast, at least for me and it was really fun getting to know everyone and spending time with each other!
When we got to the border, it all went smoothly for the most part and before we knew it we were unpacking everything and getting settled into the Spectrum Dorm.  The minute we crossed the border, all of the culture shock totally hit me.  This is my second time on this trip, but it is still really eye-opening.  Today I noticed a lot of people on the streets begging, or doing simple things to try to work for money. We even saw a guy juggling fire! I don’t remember seeing that many people like that last year, but it was really crazy seeing things like that and it was really sad. It was eye-opening for me just seeing how much I take for granted and how I don’t have to sit on the streets all day in order to get their food. I have so much compared to them.
We went to Super Taco today! It was SO goooooood! Seriously, you don’t even know how good it is! I had a “cabeza torta.” “Cabeza” is supposedly made out of the meat around the head of skull, but whatever it is, it was absolutely delicious!
I’m looking forward to tomorrow and the rest of the trip so much and I am so excited for what God is going to do in all of our lives! I am just so stoked to be here and it is such a blessing!
Thank you so much for all your prayers!
-Nesrine (Nina) Majzoub :]

No comments:

Post a Comment